This guide is for customers installing the Arnott SK-2412 Front Right ABC Strut and Arnott SK-2413 Front Left ABC Strut for the 2003-2006 SL500, 2003-2008 SL55 AMG, 2007-2012 SL550, 2003-2009 SL600, 2009-2012 SL63 AMG, and 2005-2012 SL65 AMG
The removal and installation of ABC struts on the Mercedes Benz R230 chassis SL can be performed by a skilled do it yourselfer at home. If you are unsure of your abilities or not in possession of the required tools, seek the help or guidance of a professional. All information is for informational purposes only and should be taken as helpful hints and visualizations, not a comprehensive guide. Your vehicle may be equipped or modified with additional equipment not shown or mentioned.
- Raise vehicle and set steering straight ahead, remove wheels.
- Disconnect the electrical sensor from the top of the strut mount and remove the three 13 mm top nuts.
- Loosen and separate the ball joint.
- Remove bottom strut bolt and use a jack stand to support the bottom of the strut.
- Bleed off hydraulic pressure in line carefully so that fluid drains slowly to prevent the strut from collapsing too quickly.
- Remove hydraulic hose isolator and quick fit connector for hydraulic line, then disconnect hydraulic line.
- Remove the strut from the vehicle.
- Remove the three 13 mm top nuts, hose dust cap, and bottom nut from the new strut.
- Fit new strut in place on vehicle using a jack stand for support, reattach the hydraulic line, then install hydraulic hose isolator.
- Replace bottom strut nut onto suspension arm and tighten.
- Replace three 13mm top nuts and connect electrical sensor to the top of the strut.
- Replace wheel.
Note: The Mercedes-Benz SL ABC air strut contains a solenoid valve that requires use of the Mercedes DAS Star diagnostic computer for inflation.