This guide is for customers installing the Arnott SK-2414 Rear Right ABC Strut and Arnott SK-2415 Rear left ABC Strut for the 2003-2006 SL500, 2003-2008 SL55 AMG, 2007-2012 SL550, 2003-2009 SL600, 2009-2012 SL63 AMG, and 2005-2012 SL65 AMG
The removal and installation of air struts on the Mercedes Benz R230 chassis SL can be performed by a skilled do it yourselfer at home. If you are unsure of your abilities or not in possession of the required tools, seek the help or guidance of a professional. All information is for informational purposes only and should be taken as helpful hints and visualizations, not a comprehensive guide. Your vehicle may be equipped or modified with additional equipment not shown or mentioned.
- The Mercedes ABC air suspension system may be under up to 150 lbs/in of pressure, disconnect power to air ride system and verify that air pressure has been relieved before disassembling.
- Raise Vehicle and set steering straight ahead, remove wheels. Remove trunk material to gain access to tops of struts.
- Disconnect electrical connector from strut and remove two top nuts.
- Remove bottom strut bolt and suspension arm.
- Remove brake caliper.
- Remove bottom control arm bolt attached to spindle and pry lower control arm from spindle assembly.
- Disconnect hydraulic line.
- Push down on lower control arm and remove strut from vehicle.
- Remove top two nuts and hose dust cap from new strut.
- Push down on lower control arm to create enough space to fit new strut in place on the vehicle.
- Reconnect hydraulic line.
- Install bottom strut bolt and nut.
- Line up bottom control arm bushing with spindle assembly and bolt hole, then install bolt.
- Reattach suspension arm and tighten bolt.
- Reinstall brake caliper.
- Install top two nuts and electrical connector to strut.
- Replace wheels and trunk material
Note: The Mercedes-Benz SL ABC air strut contains a solenoid valve that requires use of the Mercedes DAS Star diagnostic computer for inflation.